The Establishment of the Gamma Eta Sigma Chapter
Under the dynamic and tenacious leadership of Grace Mays Beckett, the Tallahassee Alumnae Chapter (formally known as the Gamma Eta Sigma Chapter) of Delta Sigma Theta Inc. was chartered on October 3, 1946.
The first impressive ceremony was held November 17, 1946, in the lobby of Jackson Davis Hall on the campus of Florida Agricultural and Mechanical College. Delta Sigma Theta welcomed the admission of a new chapter into the ranks of its graduate chapters and extended compliments to the activities of their Southern Regional Director, Addie D. Jones, who held the spotlight at the ceremonies attending the organization of Gamma Eta Sigma Chapter.
The officers of the new chapter who assumed their post during the ceremony following the election included: President, Grace Mays Beckett; Vice President, Hazel Y. Gray; Recording Secretary, Mai A. Norwood; Sergeant-at-Arms, Alverta N. Morris; Treasurer, Mary Elizabeth Carneige; Parliamentarian, Glovenia C. Baker; Corresponding Secretary, Lollie Fleming; Journalist, Gladys P. Anderson and Custodian, Irene A Decoursey. The first five persons initiated during the ceremony held at the home of Soror Glovenia Baker were: Barbara Baker Boardley, Amerique C Briggs, Willie Mae Miles, Willie B. Stewart and Genevieve J. Wheeler (Thomas).
In November 1958, Gamma Eta Sigma Chapter was renamed the Tallahassee Alumnae Chapter as amended by the Constitution and Bylaws of the Grand Chapter at the 25th National Convention held in Washington, D. C., August 1958. The term "graduate" chapter became obsolete and "alumnae" was adopted.
Today, the Tallahassee Alumnae Chapter provides services in the following counties: Leon, Jefferson, Wakulla, Madison and Taylor. Through the dedication and commitment of our members, we are "Suited to Serve" and will continue to uphold the legacy that thirteen vivacious and daring women began over 70 years ago.